Traffic Costs, Fines & Fees
ATTENTION: If payment is not received on or before the court date listed on your citation, a DEFAULT JUDGMENT may be entered against you and/or your operator's license will be SUSPENDED.
Any requests for additional time to pay court costs & fines must be granted by the Judge. You must appear in court before the Judge to request additional time.
If a Default Judgment is entered by the Court against you, a conviction will be sent to the issuing state of your operator's license. This conviction may result in additional penalties and/or suspension plus requirements to provide proof of insurance.
SPEEDING AND MISC. INFRACTION VIOLATIONS: $135.00
- Second and subsequent offenses - Moving/Traffic $1.50 each
- Second and subsequent offenses - Non-Moving $2.00 each
CDL SEATBELT VIOLATIONS: $135.00
ADULT SEAT BELT VIOLATIONS: $25.00
CHILD RESTRAINT VIOLATIONS (AT LEAST 8 YEARS OF AGE): $25.00
SPEEDING IN CONSTRUCTION ZONE VIOLATIONS (9-21-5-11):
- 1st Offense $433.50
- 2nd Offense $633.50
- 3rd Offense $1,133.50
EXCEEDING POSTED SPEED LIMIT (WORKSITE) (IC 9-21-5-3(4)) and PASSING IN WORKSITE (IC 9-21-8-7.5):
OVERWEIGHT VIOLATIONS (IC 9-20-4-1):
- 1-2,500 lbs over registered weight $200.00
- 2,501-5,000 lbs over registered weight $400.00
- 5,001-7,500 lbs over registered weight $600.00
- 7,501-10,000 lbs over registered weight $800.00
- Over 10,000 lbs over registered weight COURT REQUIRED
CLICK HERE for VIOLATIONS THAT REQUIRE A COURT APPEARANCE:
VIOLATIONS THAT REQUIRE CORRECTION:
This is not a complete list. if you have questions, please contact City Clerk's Office for more information 812-232-3375.
- No Valid License (9-24-1-1 and 9-24-1-5 only)
- Failure of Resident to Obtain Motor Vehicle Registration
- Failure to Carry, or Display Registration
- Improper Display of License Plate(s) on Vehicle
- False or Fictitious Registration
- Operating Motor Vehicle w/ Registration Number to Another Vehicle
- Operating Motor Vehicle w/ Fictitious Registration Number
- Operating Vehicle w/o Proper Registration
- Expired License Plate
- Improper Bumper Height
- Improper Headlights
- Improper Clearance Lamps, Marker Lamps, or Reflectors
- Stop Lamps; Color, Visibility, and Operation
- Turn Signals; Color, Visibility, and Operation
- Fender Lamps; Running-Board Courtesy Lamps; Back-up Lamps
- Motorcycle; Headlamps
- Leaky, Altered or Deteriorated Muffler
- Muffler Cutout or Bypass
- Front Windshield
- Decals, Signs, Posters, Sunscreens, or Other Non-Transparent Material
- Driving With Improper Tinting, Glazing, or Sun Screening Vehicle Windows
- Windshield Wipers
- No Motorcycle Endorsement or Permit
- Expired Operators License
- Failure to Change Address or Name on Drivers License
- Improper Muffler
- Operating Motor Vehicle w/o License or Permit in Driver's Possession
The Vigo County Prosecutor's Office offers an Infraction Deferral Program to eligible individuals.
Please click here to read more about the Vigo County Prosecutor's Infraction Deferral Program.
Please click here for more information.
* Please call the City Clerk's Office at 812-232-3375 if you have any questions. Prices of court costs, fees and fines are subject to change.