Answers to most commonly asked questions
1. What type of businesses does the City of Terre Haute require to have licenses?
A: The city only requires licenses from secondhand, antique, pawn shops,
alarm business, general contractors, plumbing contractors,
electrical contractors, HVAC, peddlers (door to door sales) and
transient merchants license. If they do not apply to any of these
they will need to contact the State at (812)235-6046.
2. What is the peddlers permit used for?
A: A peddlers permit is used for anyone who wants to sell an item or product
within the city limits, by means of door to door. Each person going door to
door is required to have a permit. There is an application and background
check that is required before the issuance of this permit.
3. What is the fee for a peddlers permit?
A: 1 day - $5
1 month - $10
6 months - $25
1 year - $50
4. What is a Transient Merchants license required for?
A: Anyone who wants to sell an item or product on a corner or at a certain
location in the city limits that doesn't have a store front in the city, would be required
to purchase a Transient Merchant license. There is an application and background
check that is required before the issuance of this license.
5. What is the fee for a transient merchants license?
A: $50 per day, for no longer than 10 days in one location.
6. Can I get a copy of the current year or past year budget?
A: Yes, they are available online.